Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Torin

I'm starting with our newest baby, Torin. He was born on January 18, 2011, 4 weeks ahead of schedule. I had gone to the bank before my doctor's appointment and started feeling just weird, back hurting and just weird. I didn't think anything of it, I mean I was pregnant, weird stuff happens. After I got to the doctor I had to wait in the lobby for about 30 minutes. I started having contractions and they just kept coming and coming. I mentioned them to the doctor thinking "Oh, it's nothing, this happens to me all the time," but she hooked me up to the monitor just to be sure and then declared me to actually be in labor. Now the problem with this was that 1. I had never gone into labor on my own before (all my other labors were induced), 2. it was 4 weeks early and 3. I was scheduled for a C-section at 39 weeks. So I was against this labor thing. They wheeled me over to the hospital and started me on some IV fluids hoping it would make my labor stop. No luck on that one. The contractions just kept coming and coming. I laid in the bed wishing they would stop while calling first Shane to inform him he was having a baby today, my mom to catch the big kids so they didn't walk home to an empty house and Amber to beg her to keep my little boys since she was already watching them for what I thought was going to just be a doctor's appointment.


About an hour later the doctor came in and said since they weren't stopping they were going to go ahead and do the C-section and we were going to have a new baby today. I was very scared, but the doctor assured me that 4 weeks wasn't really that early and obviously this baby was ready to come or else I wouldn't be in labor. They wheeled me in for the C-section about an hour later and about 3 pm we had our 4th little boy. They let me see him just for an instant and then whisked him away to weigh him and do all that other good new baby stuff. Shane went with him and they sewed me up.


When I got to the recovery room the nurse there informed me that he had started having some trouble breathing, retracting or using extra muscles to breath and his oxygen saturations were really low so they had put him in an oxygen tent to try and help him breathe better. They told me he was fine, but of course I was very scared. I couldn't even go see him because I was still numb from the spinal block and my blood pressure was really really low. Shane went back and forth between me and the baby making sure both of us were okay. The doctor came and talked to us and let us know that if he didn't start doing better he would have to be flown to Tucson.

He didn't even have a name yet because we didn't know before he was born if he was a boy or a girl. I kept trying to wiggle my toes just so they would let me go down to the nursery. I finally got down there about 8 pm in a wheelchair so I could touch my baby finally. I knew he needed a blessing so we called my dad to come help Shane give him a blessing. He came down and we asked him what to do since the baby still didn't have a name. He told us just to call him Baby Hansen and the angels would work it all out up in Heaven. They gave him a blessing and within just a few minutes he was breathing easier. He stayed in the oxygen tent through the night and about 3 am he was finally on room air and doing well. They let him come down and be with us about 4:30 am and I finally got to hold him. We named him Torin Peter Hansen. He did well the rest of his hospital stay and went home with us a few days later.

What a testimony it was to me that Heavenly Father knows us and is aware of us at all times. Heavenly Father knew who my baby is way better than me even though he didn't have a name yet. Little did I know then that Heavenly Father would be looking out for this baby even more in a couple weeks.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad he is here safely!